Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

2013 GSW's Off-Season Preview

     On my way home from work, mere minutes ago, I stopped by Burger King (Yes, you read that correctly)  ordered a drink and promptly reached down to search for loose change in my cup "change" holder. I handed the vastly overqualified BK employee the exact amount. The window shut, I began to read on about possible Warriors off-season moves on my phone and abruptly the window opened. The long haired, probable high school dropout said to me, "We don't accept Oakland Zoo tokens here!"

     AWESOME! I had not laughed that sincerely since Friday night. The infamous night my beloved Golden State Warriors (as TNT would say), lost and went home. The same night I wore black because I was expecting a funeral for my Warriors in an already overstayed 2013 playoff duration. The same Friday night that has been fermented in my brain and will continue to pester me, the same way veterans have Vietnam flashbacks. All in all, Friday night has left a deep, unreachable pit in my stomach that until that moment at the BK Lounge, I thought would linger with me the rest of my life. (I already get enough smack talk from the 9-12 year old's I coach, who apparently all claim they are "Lakers" and "Kings" fans). 

     People who are told they have ten days to live, as Jim Carrey would say, "Live it up!" Women who are faced with the challenge of losing a guy in ten days, would give it their best Kate Hudson-esque performance. And, sports freaks who are told they must go two YEARS without any sports, would contemplate the importance of the object/person/trip/objective/calling that is creating their two year sports withdrawal. I have always known the day would come when I must leave (possibly the country, fingers crossed) for two years and be voided from sports. But like Brian Scalabrine playing real minutes, I never thought the day would come. 

     (Glass half empty outlook): So, after the Warriors remarkable season and hope for a promising future, the Raiders dwelling as a bottom top team in the NFL and the A's one year removed from the most incredible season to date in the Bay, it is a rough time to leave. 

     (Glass half full outlook): I still get to witness a majority of the A's season, scout out players in the Raiders training camps and...the pinnacle of all sporting seasons, get to read about, hope and watch the Warriors off-season. YIPEEEEEE! 

     Bob Myers, the Golden State Warriors GM, was faced with a conundrum of a roster when he took over the reigns of the Warriors back in 2011. He has done a more than admirable job rebuilding, restructuring and forming the youngest, yet most promising and exciting team in the league. The 2012-13 season was a major success (yet still a fresh sore spot for Warriors fans), however he has a lot of work ahead of him. He is faced with major questions, contracts and pressure to retain and improve an already (for lack of a better word) awesome team. If Bob Myers and myself one day woke up, pulled a Freaky Friday body switch (something I would gladly welcome), here is what I would do with the franchise: 

Step 1: Give Mark Jackson the extension he deserves. Although not the best X's and O's coach, he plays match ups  adapts and creates an environment guys want to play in. He motivates everyone (See: Bogut, Andrew), and has created a much needed identity for a team formerly lacking it. His NBA coach comparison: Doc Rivers. No prior coaching experience, yet Jackson gets his guys to win. Also, if possible I would extend Assisstant Coach Mike Malone's contract as well (the X and O's guy). 

Step 2: Decide between Jarrett Jack and Carl Landy. Wow, tough one. I would choose Carl Landry. I admit Jack is a very good player, minus his turnover ratio, wild play and lack of defense, but Landry is more valuable to this team. Jack is a guy who can score and handle the ball. The Warriors already have Stephen Curry, so I would do my best job to bring in a valid backup Point Guard WHO CAN PLAY DEFENSE. That is a huge priority. Preferably a 6'4 or taller PG who can defend 2-3 positions. Insert Landry to backup Lee (???? I will get to that in a second) and sign/trade for/draft a big point guard who can handle the ball, shoot and play defense. 

Step 3: Is there a possible trade looming? Personally, I would do my best to trade David Lee. He is a very, very good player, that's why he was the teams lone All-Star. However, he lacks defense, size, versatility and provides something other guys could get too, if they played the same amount of minutes: Double Doubles. Landry is an overqualified backup Power Forward, and the team is in desperate need for a defense, athletic second big to put alongside BOGUT(!!!!) Plus, Draymond Green, Festus Ezeli, NOT Andris Biedrins and Harrison "small ball" Barnes can fill minutes left by Lee's departure. At this point to me, a Lee trade seems inevitable. I can only hope Bob Myers is drinking the same BK soda as me. 

Step 4: So, three rookies played huge minutes for my team this year. Do I trade into the draft to find more hidden gems? My answer, no. This is a very, very, very, very, very weak draft and aside from Michael Carter-Williams and Dennis Schroeder, there are very few value, sleeper picks that could help the Dubs. So, I am standing pat and resisting the temptation to trade into the fun, yet talent starved 2013 NBA draft.  

Step 5: Is this the nucleus I want to build around? Curry is a lock, Barnes is a lock and Bogut is a lock. Of course, so are the young role players. We have already discussed Lee, but is Klay Thompson a lock to be in the future nucleus of the Warriors? I would do everything I can to build around Steph and Barnes, the players with the most upside and talent. Why trade Klay Thompson? He is versatile and defends well, which makes him a very usable player. However, his production and consistency make him expendable. He is a very good shooter, who at times looks great, however I hear his value around the league is way higher than what I think his upside is. He doesn't have that star mentality to ever be a great shooter and right now he is in the perfect situation possible for him, putting up respectable, yet replaceable numbers. I am not totally sure what you could get for him. Although, I have heard Eric Gordon/James Harden type talents (!!!!) I would definitely explore trades for him and maybe include Lee as a package deal to land a big time talent. Here is a proposal: Klay Thompson for Andre Igoudala? I would do it in a heartbeat. 

     There it is, the Golden State Warriors off-season preview. Hope you enjoyed it. Also, I hope you jumped on the "Klay Thompson is a more talented, yet miniature version of Mike Dunleavy Jr." bandwagon. Oh, one more thing: Keep Kent Bazemore!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment